“The Book Of Eli”, Starring Denzel Washington, Shot on the RED Camera
01.21.2010 RED Goes From One Scene to Shooting Entire Movie
There is a great article about the RED camera being used on “The Book of Eli” in the latest issue of ICG Magazine.
Burgess did extensive tests with the RED on location in the New Mexico desert, where most of the exteriors would be shot. [The Book of Eli was shot in the small rural town of Carrizozo and on stages in Albuquerque]. Burgess had mounts made for the camera so he could use Panavision Primo lenses. Then he tested it side-by-side with an Arriflex 435 from Otto Nemenz International. “Because of its desaturated nature, the RED was able to provide the look within its limitations,” Burgess explains. “We didn’t need the full dynamic range of color negatives. And there really was no difference for me than shooting film. It worked out very well. More…
07.28.2009 Albert Hughes is Hooked on RED
- Albert Hughes describes his is experience with the RED camera after shooting “The Book of Eli”.”RED was the answer to all my dreams. Speed, flexibility and an incredible look that can be seen right away. I was especially thrilled with my options in post, applying different looks, repositioning the image or scanning in a bit to reframe. At one time, I considered myself a film purist, swearing never to go digital but RED has changed all of that, proving itself against film in a side by side test. With all of its flexibility, I cant see going back to film.” Albert Hughes.
07.23.2009 The Book of Eli HD Trailer
- You can view the HD trailer here: www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thebookofeli/
01.18.2009 The Book of Eli Shooting on the RED Camera
- Jim Jannard has just announced that “The Book Of Eli”, staring Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis is shooting on the RED camera.
Synopsis: “Denzel Washington plays a lone hero in a not-too-distant apocalyptic future who must fight across America to bring society the knowledge that could be the key to its redemption.”
- Directors: Albert Hughes and Allen Hughes
- Director of Photography: Don Burgess
- Starring: Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman
- Producer: Joel Silver
- Writer: Gary Whitta
Albert Hughes on their film out test: “We did a side by side test with a RED camera and an Arri 435 at the locations where the movie was to be shot. After processing and D.I., we did a film out and presented both sets of images to the producers. All picked the “shot on film” images on the right as the best ones. They were half right. It was the best footage, but the footage on the right was shot on RED, not film. Both Don Burgess and I were shocked that RED handled the actresses’ skin better than film. It had a creamy quality, more of an old style trick that dp’s used to use when they put pantie hose on the back of lenses. We are now one week into shooting and we couldn’t be happier with the look we are getting.” Multiple industry resources have confirmed that they are shooting on “Panavised” REDs with Panavision glass. We are still waiting for official confirmation, however.